Everything You Need To Know About An Air Ambulance
By: Leah Wrigley
What Is An Air Ambulance?
An Air Ambulance provides patients with a medically configured aircraft that can travel longer distances than a ground ambulance in a shorter amount of time. AeroCare has provided fixed-wing air medical transportation to patients for 26 years. We specialize in transporting patients to and from hospitals, rehabilitation centers, specialized care facilities, and private residences with the same level of care that would be expected from a hospital ICU. Each air ambulance flight has a two-person medical flight crew consisting of a flight nurse and flight medic.
Who Can Use This Service?
There are many types of individuals that can utilize an air ambulance. Here are some examples:
- Someone that need to be transported distances over 200 miles and require medical attention
- Someone who is unable to tolerate sitting upright in an airliner
- Patients injured while on vacation needing to be flown home
- Patients with serious medical conditions needing transportation to a distant medical center that has capabilities unavailable locally
- Chronically ill patients who want to relocate close to family members
- Patients who are traveling outside the US and become ill or injured requiring evacuation back to the states.
How Does An Air Ambulance Work?
AeroCare makes all arrangements regarding the air ambulance flight. This includes obtaining; a pre-flight medical consult or report of the patient condition at their current discharging facility arranging ground ambulances at both the discharging and receiving ends, ordering in-flight catering, handling insurance paperwork if necessary, notifying the receiving hospital of the arrival time and confirming bed availability, as well as any special requests of the family.
Where Can You Travel?
AeroCare can transport a patient that is in need of an air ambulance virtually anywhere in the world. We operate out of three locations within the United States; Arizona, Illinois, and Florida.
When Can You Use This Service?
AeroCare is available to provide air ambulance services 365 days a year for 24 hours a day.